Well a way to avoid any deleting of files or hackers on the external
drive is to only mount the drive when the backup starts and unmount when
finished or when a restore is need, this is a good practice. Now if i
could only figure out how to tell BackupPC to do this? i think it would
be a nice option to have....

Since using tar rather than rsync for localhost has brought the load
down quite a bit, plus now after the initial first run, the incremental
backups take less than 10 mins per pc!

We are in a very well protected data center, so unless there is a huge
disaster i would not worry about this 100 floor office building coming
down...

:)

However you do have very valid points...

Thanks for your input...

Has anyone ever unmounted and remount the drives as need in conjunction
with BackupPC?

Rob Morin
Dido InterNet Inc.
Montreal, Canada