Nicolai Nordahl Rasmussen writes:

> I only have the local dns in the resolv.conf file
> andromeda:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search corena.dk
> nameserver 10.5.0.3
>
> I've added an entry for the server in the hosts file:
>
> andromeda:~# cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 10.5.0.7        andromeda.corena.dk     andromeda
> 192.168.0.5     merkur.corena.dk        merkur
>
> But it keeps claiming: "NO PING RESPONSE"
>
> Is there a way of debugging what is actually going on? - Or maybe
> to increase the timeout value or something like that. I have a
> very hard time figuring out what it is that BackupPC does "wrong"
> - since I'm able to login, su to the backuppc user and execute the
> ping -c 1 merkur command _EVERY_ time...and I get instant response
> every time...
>
> Can I change the ping parameter in the per-pc config for that
> particular host, to try and mangle a bit around with it?

Rodrigo's suggestions are good ones.  Sounds like ping is not
reliable.

FYI, you can see exactly what BackupPC is doing by running:

    su backuppc
    BackupPC_dump -v -f merkur

and look at the output.  It should show you the exact commands and
steps it is taking.

If it is just ping that is unreliable (unlikely) you can disable
the ping command by setting $Conf{PingCmd} to '/bin/true'.  But
it is likely that the next command (eg: ssh or rsync) will fail
if the network is unreliable.

Craig