Barry Robinson wrote:
> I have checked the setting based on your
> recommendations and this is what I now have trying to
> simplify.
>
> On Linux /var/lib/backuppc/WinXP/config.pl
> ##Rsyncd for wolf
> $Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsyncd';
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = 'cDrive';
> $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = ['/rsyncd', '/Documents and
> Settings'];
> #$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/Documents and
> Settings/*/Local Settings'];
> #$Conf{RsyncdUserName} = 'backuppc';
> #$Conf{RsyncdPasswd}  = '****';
>
> On the WinXP box C:\rsyncd\rsyncd.conf
>
> hosts allow = 192.168.1.10
> use chroot = false
> log file = c:/rsyncd/rsyncd.log
> pid file = c:/rsyncd/rsyncd.pid
> lock file = c:/rsyncd/rsyncd.lock
> [cDrive]
>     path = /cygwin/c
>     comment = Entire C
>     strict modes = true
>     auth users = backuppc
>     secrets file = c:/rsyncd/rsyncd.secrets
>     read only = false
>     list = false
>
> My results:
> 2006-08-24 08:09:57 full backup started for directory
> cDrive
> 2006-08-24 08:09:58 Got fatal error during xfer (auth
> failed on module cDrive)
> 2006-08-24 08:10:03 Backup aborted (auth failed on
> module cDrive)
>
> I have tried both forward and back slash on the XP box
> config file with no luck.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Hi,

Its got nothing to do with your backslashes.

Its the "strict modes = true" setting.

If you leave it true then the file on the windows box HAS TO BE read
only by the user running the rsyncd daemon, or the system service.

I suggest you make strict modes = false for ease of use.

See the excerpt from the rsyncd.conf file below.....

#
    # Does rsyncd ensure that the secrets file is read only by the
    # user running the process? If this is false then no check is
    # performed (useful for Win32 systems). However, you can change
    # this to "true" and make the secrets file READ ONLY by the user
    # running the rysncd process. If running from the command line
    # or upon login, this should be the user who is logged in. If
    # running as a Win32 service, then the SYSTEM account should be
    # the only account that can read the secrets file.
    #
    strict modes = false

Also i think these should be changed....

$Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = ['/rsyncd', '/Documents and
Settings'];
#$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/Documents and
Settings/*/Local Settings'];

to.....

$Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = ['rsyncd', 'Documents and
Settings'];
#$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['Documents and
Settings/*/Local Settings'];

...because your rsyncd share is the root of the folder, you dont need a
"/" in front of the top level folders.

The rsyncd client software from the BackupPC Download site is quick,
easy and optimized for backuppc and there is no necessity to use
"cygdrive/c" etc etc. You can just use "C:" etc.

Regards,

Les