On Monday 18 September 2006 09:48, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 09:27 -0700, David Koski wrote:
> > Just to clarify, I am not getting "file has vanished" errors since I
> > excluded the Queue directory from backup.
> >
> > > Same problem, different place. The files are disappearing between
> > > the time the directory is read to find the name and opening the
> > > file for copying.  That looks like a maildir directory where
> > > frequent changes would be expected.
> >
> > The "Unable to read" problem indicates the same "seekPosn" and other
> > parameters every day for the past several days. Do you still think it is
> > a transient file issue?
>
> That's 'not supposed' to happen on filesystems with unix semantics.
> That is, if a process gets a file open, it is supposed to continue
> to have access to it's data even if some other process removes
> or renames it.  It could happen if another process truncates
> it - which doesn't seem likely for programs using maildir format.
> It also might happen over an NFS mount, although NFS goes through
> some contortions to avoid it.  In any case, it is somehow related
> to filesystem activity and probably doesn't hurt much as long
> as you can restore the other files.

But this error occurs in the same position day after day, increasing in number
of times it is found in the log.

Now for a dumb question: Does that error indicate a problem on the backuppc
server or the server being backed up? I have been assuming the whole time it
was the backuppc server.

Thanks,
David