On 10/2/06, Steffen Heil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My current pool is on a 80 GB raid1 lvm-backed device using ext3.
> Now one of the drives failed and the pool is 82% full.
>
> So I got 2 new 200 GB drives, configured them with raid1 and lvm using xfs.
>
> So, how do I get the pool over there?
>
> cp -a is already running for 3h and got 12GB so far... (is THAT normal?)
> rsync -avH took very long and then copies only a few kb/sec.
>
> I thought about using partimage/dd, but that would force me to use ext3
> again.
>
> What experience did you have using XFS vs ext3?
> Is there a better way to move the pool?

Can you elaborate more on your RAID/lvm setup?

As you have found, cp -a and rsync are very slow when copying lots of
small files and hard links. The fastest way to copy the partition is
to copy the raw partition using dd, then grow the partitions and then
grow the filesystem. I'm not that familar with lvm, but assuming you
have lvm over your RAID partition, you would do this:

1. Setup new drives w/RAID + lvm.
2. Copy old lvm partition to new lvm partition using dd. You will copy
80gb of data over.
3. Grow the filesystem. Whether you are using xfs or ext3 or
<filesystem x> should not matter as long as it supports growing the
filesystem.

Of course, you'll have to have the data partition unmounted during all of this.

-Dave