I'm having trouble getting backups to work with rsync.  I have two hosts using smb that are working (sort of), and two with rsync that are not.  Here's the log file I get (the machine name is 'sol'):

Contents of file /var/backuproot/pc/sol/LOG, modified 2006-11-01 12:21:42

2006-11-01 12:21:42 full backup started for directory /

The per-machine config file is very straightforward, but maybe I'm missing a setting?

Contents of file /var/backuproot/pc/sol/config.pl, modified 2006-10-24 02:26:31

$Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsync';
$Conf{RsyncShareName} = '/';
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = '/proc';
$Conf{FullPeriod} = 6.97;  # -1 or -2 to disable backups

The status is:

sol panther 0
0.00
0   idle (Unable to read 4 bytes)

For whatever reason, it always fails with '(Unable to read 4 bytes)'.  Which is weird, because the ./sol/new directory has 502MB of files in it, but no entries in the backups table at all.  My other host has identical issues.  By the way, SSH keys are set up so I have tested the obvious things, and backups are mostly working.  But how do I debug this?

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks,
JH