Craig Barratt wrote:
Jason writes:

This took 40 hours to run, and backed up a lot, but when it got to a 12gb file, it choked.

Here's the XferLog Errors:

Error reading file \video\2005\video2005raw.avi : Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
Didn't get entire file. size=12776697964, nread=-1340081072

The first problem is the timeout.  That could be due to anti-virus SW
that completely checks a file (or directory) before you can open the
file.  You can increase the timeout but you need to recompile smbclient.

Thanks.  I'm not running any kind of virus software, but the link is a wireless one, so it's possible there are other sources of interference that make it impossible to transfer data for quite a while.  I have a server that automatically checks for link loss and I get an email every so often that it went down, but the next 15 minutes (when it checks again), it's up.  So there's an intermittent and brief complete failure of the link.

Unfortunately, when smbclient times out, it may actually be that the server is completely unreachable, and bumping up the time won't fix that.  It would be nice if, on a failed tranfer, a second chance is queued that starts where the first left off.  I don't know enough about backuppc to say whether that involves an interceding link step to put the correctly downloaded files into a pool, or a special step that manually tries to reget the partial file before moving it to the /pc/<name>/new hierarchy, or what.  Even automatically excluding the partial file on the second try and sending an email that it had to restart and skip the file would be preferable to failing with a partial backup.  In fact, because of this one large file, nothing on my PC beyond this file will ever get into the backup.  A slow internet connection, or a poor wireless connection, will have the same problem for very large files.

Is smbclient based on UDP or TCP?  If it's UDP, I could raise the server timeout to something really big, like 10 minutes or so, and if my link comes back up it'll work.  With TCP, I'm just screwed, right?

The second problem is a 32-bit roll-over bug in smbclient that only happens
after you get the "Didn't get entire file" error when smbclient tries to pad
the tar file.  A bug and fix are filed on samba's bugzilla, but I doubt the
fix has been applied yet.

Ok, so it's a totally innocuous display bug.  I'll ignore it.

Thanks,
JH