some more info :

if I run the backup for just one share, then it works fine

$Conf{RsyncShareName} = [
  '/'
];

as soon as I add a second share, the errors start

$Conf{RsyncShareName} = [
  '/',
  '/boot'
];

I tried with and without checksum-seed with the same results.

It seems as though this only happens with hosts that I have changed the
share name around.

Thanks

>From: Craig Barratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "Dale Renton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync fatal error: md4 doesn't match on
>retry;file removed
>Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:09:41 -0800
>
>Dale writes:
>
> > It does not look like any of the files are changing during the backup.
> >
> > Also, I think this only started happening since we upgraded BackupPC
>from 2
> > to 3.  It is happening on all our backup servers as well, not just one.
> >
> > Anything I can do to help you debug this, let me know.
>
>Ok.  Could you please do a backup with a small list of files that includes
>one that fails (or ideally a backup that includes just the single file that
>fails), and increase $Conf{XferLogLevel} to, say, 8?  Please send me the
>XferLOG file off-list.  It might be quite large.
>
>Are you using rsync checksum caching (ie: --checksum-seed=32761 included
>in $Conf{RsyncArgs})?  If so, you could try removing that option.
>
>Craig

friends module.