Hi,

Jason Hughes wrote:
> JW Smythe wrote:
> >   Ahhh, so I'm not crazy. :)
> >
> >   I posted the same thing a few days ago.

and I replied off-list that setting

> $Conf{ConfDir} = '/etc/BackupPC';

in the main config.pl probably means the config files will be put somewhere
beneath there - I take it from Lorentz Hinrichsens message in the same
thread that the actual location is "/etc/BackupPC/pc/$host.pl" (substitute
the hostname for $host).

> For what it's worth, I started with 2.1.2pl2 stable and had per-machine
> configs for each machine working fine.  When I installed the 3.0.0beta3
> as an upgrade OVER the existing install, it worked fine.  Maybe there's
> something different about the install script that differs between
> upgrade and a fresh install?

As I understand it, the whole point of the $Conf{ConfDir} configuration
variable is to let you choose where your configuration will be kept. FHS
wants it below /etc, BackupPC 2.x.x kept it below $Conf{TopDir} (except
there was no $Conf{TopDir} in 2.x.x ;-), which has the advantage of being
"near" the pool, i.e. possibly on a separate hard disk. I believe, the
install script leaves existing configuration files where they are by
adjusting $Conf{ConfDir}. For new installations, BackupPC follows FHS and
puts them below /etc/BackupPC, setting $Conf{ConfDir} accordingly.

Please note that I am mainly guessing from what I've read on this list,
because I don't have a BackupPC 3.0.0 installation yet where I could check.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, regarding "doc Hyde"s problem:
> But with this latest "beta" version it seems like the file config.pl is not
> being read. I modify it through vi and see no difference in the command
> executed. When I attempt to modify it through the cgi interface, the changes
> made on the screen do not appear in my config.pl file.
> Is this there something that I am missing.

I would guess that you are modifying (and looking at) files below
/var/lib/backuppc, whereas BackupPC is using (and modifying) files below
/etc/BackupPC. Check your setting of $Conf{ConfDir} in the main
configuration file, which I would guess to be /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.
Also note that it's probably $host.pl and not $host/config.pl (in my Debian
packaged 2.1.1 it was also $host.pl; I have no idea whether that was Debian
specific), though I wouldn't be surprised if both work equally or even in
combination ;-).

Regards,
Holger