> I'm wondering now how to exclude things like "/proc" globally and per-PC.

You cannot exclude something globally, then exclude more per-PC.  The
per-PC settings simply override whatever was set globally, since it's
just setting a perl variable.  I suppose you could actually write perl
code that pushes more directories onto the array, but it would get
cryptic very fast.

Look into setting something globally if you have several machines that
share a similar set of excludes, and override where different
configurations are needed.  The documentation explains how to write
per-PC configs.  If you're using 3.0.0beta, you can actually edit the PC
config straight from the CGI interface.
> Also wondering how through the CGI interface I can have "normal" users who
> can view/start/restore their backups while different from the "admin" users
> (my terminology may be wrong here).

You have to create multiple 'users' in your auth file for the CGI to
allow people to log in.  Once you have that, you assign these users to
their respective machines in the BackupPC hosts file.  This way, when
one of those users accesses the CGI pages, it requests them to log in...
which they do, and are presented with only the machines they are
associated with in hosts.
> Can't seem to find a config variable other than CgiAdminUsers available.

This variable only tells what users should have access to everything.
You set the per-PC owners in the hosts file.

Hope this helps,
JH