On 12/29/06, Michal Wokoun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But when I run a full backup on workstation with about 25 GB of user data in
> small files (mostly word and excel documents), the fileserver freezes
> after circa
> half an hour - leds on keybord blinking and I have to push the hard
> reset. There
> are no error messages in /var/log/messages. Raid arrays are not clear
> after reset,
> but they sync very quikly during boot and also XFS (file shares) and
> EXT3 (system)
> usually recovers. Problem is probably not the memory, because the
> fileserver is about
> 14 days old and I ran memtest86+ without errors prior to installing OS.
> I use rsyncd, but got the same problem with samba transfer method.
> I also copied 120 GB of data in large files to the fileserver smoothly
> through samba.

The problem isn't a problem with BackupPC if the machine is hard
locking. It's either a kernel or a hardware problem.

How long did you run memtest for, was it at least 24 hours? In
addition to memtest, I also recommend running mprime for 24 hours (run
one for each core you have on your system) which will ensure that your
CPUs can handle high heat/load situations. I have had systems which
run memtest for days, but mprime generated an error after ~24 hours or
so and finally determined the CPU was bad.

To help debug the system lockup, are you able to see anything on the
console? You may need to connect a serial console to debug further as
often system lockups don't log anything to /var/log/messages but they
will show up on the console.

Also, if you are running vanilla kernels, I would make sure you are
running 2.6.19.1.

-Dave