> I routinely hit 100% CPU utilization on the Via C3 1GHz Mini-ITX systems I
> use as backup servers.  I will grant you that the C3 is not the most
> efficient processor, but I am definitely CPU-limited.  I too have 512MB RAM,
> but the machines are not swapping.  And that's with 1 backup at a time
> running (there is only one system to back up).

Do you have a screenshot from top and a few lines of `vmstat 3`
output? You could also just type sar to look at the average system
utilization in 10 minute intervals since midnight if it's configured
on your system. That would help verify that CPU is indeed limiting
your throughput.

> The backup server runs fine, but e.g. using the web GUI or logging in via
> SSH is *sluggish*.  These are dedicated backup servers so I don't care, but
> if you made the mistake of putting BackupPC on your main file server, the
> fie server would be unusable in this state.

If logging in via ssh is sluggish, that does indicate memory pressure
to me... If you log in twice in a row is it still sluggish the second
time or does it improve?

-Dave