Timothy J. Massey wrote:
> The C3 is slow.  I  get it.  I already *knew* that.  However, the
> performance numbers I posted demonstrate pretty clearly that the
> failure is not in a simple lack of CPU power, but in truly how *much*
> CPU power rsync demands.  I get triple the performance in switching
> from rsync to SMB.  Same CPU, same network, same hard drives,
> different protocol.
Sure, I see that.  I was only pointing out that the conditions of this
code might be right to cause worse than normal performance for the C3
for any number of reasons, making it buckle under the load sooner.  Not
that it's a bad config at all.

> And interestingly enough, the load is far higher on the computer I'm
> backing up, not the poor little C3.  It takes a 2.6GHz Xeon with SCSI
> RAID drives to force my anemic C3 to 100% utilization.  I can live
> with that.  So while my C3 is leaving *some* performance behind, it's
> nowhere near enough to cause me to switch from the tiny, attractive,
> quiet, reliable, affordable package I have develeped around the EPIA.
> (The DMA issue, though, might be.  At least to a different motherboard.)
All my machines here are older except my primary dev box (2.4ghz P4
w/HT).  And on that machine, I use SMB to back it up, simply because
it's a WinXP box and it responded well to SMB.  I had another Win2k box
over a quarter-speed WDS 802.11g link that would fail over SMB due to
occasional interference that I *had* to switch to rsyncd just so it
could complete--and I had to stage the introduction of directories with
large files to the backup system so I could get them into the pool and
have the backups complete at all (an incomplete backup due to lost
connection does *not* enter new files into the pool, even if they
completed, wasting that transfer time.. the single most serious flaw in
BackupPC if you ask me).

> The whole reason I got involved in this discussion is because others
> have repeatedly said that they get outstanding performance from
> cast-off  machines.  That may be true:  but it wasn't true for me.  I
> wanted to know why.  And the reason is not the C3.  It's rsync.
My PPro200mhz server connects with SMB for my faster WinXP client with a
quick network connection.  I use rsyncd for a Win2k box over a slow
wireless link.  I used rsync+ssh on two older linux boxes and switched
them to rsyncd to avoid privilege escalation and to hopefully improve
performance a little.

> Are there others out here using rsyncd?  What type of performance do
> you get?

Maybe that statistic doesn't mean what you think it means.  The number
of MB/s that you get *should* decrease after your first full backup.
That number, Craig correct me, is the amount of changed data transferred
to the server, divided by the amount of time the backup took to run.
The time the backup inspects files that did not change or get
transferred is included in that time, reducing the apparent throughput.
Rsync itself has lousy throughput too, so it makes it look worse.  The
only time this would be an accurate reflection of protocol throughput is
when the pool is bone dry.  The more files match the pool, the more time
(relatively) the client machine will spend on files that will ultimately
not be transferred and will not increase the data transferred.  This is
a good thing.

So, the statistic is a little misleading.  If you *were* getting
something very high for that number, I think it means you've got
something wrong with your pool, because no files are matching their
checksums.

For reference, none of my backups are over 1MB/s, and some are about
0.1MB/s because nothing changes except a few log files.

One take-away from this is, if you have a number of large files that
have scattered changes every week, maybe rsync is not the right protocol
for that client?

Thanks,
JH