Bradley writes:

> Can I put a slightly different spin on this question? Is there a
> way to earmark a backup not to be overwritten? In my situation, I
> just brought up the backuppc server, and now I have a good backup
> of everything on each box. In the future, I would like to only back
> up a subset of the directories (basically everything needed to
> reconstitute a Debian or Ubuntu box, /home /root /etc /usr/local
> /var/log /var/backups /var/cache/apt /var/cache/debconf /var/lib
> /boot /lib/modules) on a regular basis. Maybe monthly, quarterly or
> even semi-annually, I would get everything else (most of which
> would be binaries included in packages)...
>
> Is it possible to designate either more than two levels of backups
> (instead of full and incrementals, maybe weekly/monthly/daily or
> something of that sort) or be able to set a do-not-delete flag on
> a specific backup (possibly with a comment)?

This isn't supported directly.

One approach is to create an additional "virtual" host in BackupPC,
so there are actually two BackupPC hosts per actual client.  One
(eg: HOST_base) would keep the single backup.  The second (eg: HOST)
would do the regular backups of a subset.  You use $Conf{ClientNameAlias}
to point both hosts to the same client.

Craig