Joe writes:

> Using 3.0.0beta3, backup client is WinXP Pro via rsyncd.
>
> I have an 80 GB USB hard drive that I'd like to back up if it's
> connected.  If it's not, then I'd like the rest of the laptop backed
> up.  I have 'BackupZeroFilesIsFatal' unchecked.  Here's what I get in
> the log:
>
> 2007-01-11 06:01:41 incr backup started back to 2007-01-09 13:23:02 (backup
> #0) for directory G-Drive
> 2007-01-11 06:01:41 Got fatal error during xfer (chdir failed)
> 2007-01-11 06:01:46 Backup aborted (chdir failed)
>
> It seems to have thrown out the whole incremental that was done up
> until that point.  Am I doing something that shouldn't be done, or is
> there a bug?

It's working as intended (although not as desired in your case).  A backup
(with multiple shares or directories) either fully succeeds, or it fails
if any share failes and is discarded.

To decouple the removable media from your regular backups you
could setup another virtual backup host (eg: HOST-extDrive)
that just backs up the removable media.  You should set
$Conf{ClientNameAlias} to point HOST-extDrive at HOST.

Another approach would be to change this code in BackupPC_dump:

    UserCommandRun("DumpPreShareCmd", $shareName);
    if ( $? && $Conf{UserCmdCheckStatus} ) {
        print(LOG $bpc->timeStamp,
                "DumpPreShareCmd returned error status $?... exiting\n");
        print("dump failed: DumpPreShareCmd returned error status $?\n");
        UserCommandRun("DumpPostUserCmd") if ( $NeedPostCmd );
        exit(1);
    }

so that a particular exit status would do a "next" rather than "exit".
You would set $Conf{UserCmdCheckStatus} to 1 and $Conf{DumpPreShareCmd}
to a command that checks if the media is there.  This would cause the
share to be skipped when the removable media isn't present.

One benefit of having a different "virtual" host is that you can
cancel just that backup if you need to remove the media without
canceling the backup of the rest of the host (which is scheduled
and runs independently).

Craig