Hi,

Cristian Tibirna wrote on 14.01.2007 at 13:16:29 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
avoidable failure?]:
> On 14 January 2007 00:34, Holger Parplies wrote:
> [...]
> > Might you simply need to increase your $Conf{ClientTimeout}?
> > It would make sense that your backups take longer with busy client machines
> > than with idle ones, after all.
>
> Interesting suggestion. I will try to investigate more in this direction. I
> don't know exactly was should be done as a matter of test though, as the
> errors aren't reproduceable, as I mentioned in the beginning.

yes, there are always some things you can't really test :-(.
You could look at the logs of your failing backups though and check whether
the time they ran seems to correspond with your current (resp. former)
setting of $Conf{ClientTimeout}. If that is set to 7200 s (2 h) and you have
failed backups running 30 min, 43 min and 22 min and good ones running 15
min, 35 min and 65 min, then that's obviously the wrong track. If your good
backups are comparatively short though and the others fail after roughly 2
hours, I'd simply try maybe doubling the value and seeing if the failures go
away. As I understand it, $Conf{ClientTimeout} is not a value that needs to
be fine tuned to be only slightly larger than your longest backup, but
rather a measure to eventually detect and kill hung backups. The only really
problematic 'resource' a hung backup seems to consume is that it counts in
terms of $Conf{MaxBackups}, thus preventing or postponing running other
backups (well, yes, a hung rsync might consume a considerable amount of
(swappable) memory). I've read of people using timeout values of 72000 (20h)
or more.

Regards,
Holger