Hi,

James Kyle wrote on 13.01.2007 at 10:56:43 [[BackupPC-users] Stuck getting
localhost to work]:
> [...]
> I have backuppc installed and working on localhost. I've set my pc
> specific configl.pl:
>
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = ['/Network/Servers/mydomain/Users/','/usr/
> local','/opt/', '/Volumes/'];
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/usr/local/var/backups'];
> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = 'sudo $rsyncPath $argList+';
> $Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = 'sudo $rsyncPath $argList+';

unless I'm completely mistaken, it should be '$argList' without the '+' in
both RsyncClientCmd and RsyncClientRestoreCmd as sudo preserves its argument
boundaries (i.e. does not split arguments) and does not remove quoting. If
'$rsyncPath $argList+' works, that is probably not your current problem though
(but it might cause problems in the future, if at some point argList gets to
contain something that is actually quoted).

> [...]
> Now, from the command line I can execute sudo rsync without a
> password and the event is logged in my /var/log/system.log. However,
> if I attempt to do a full backup with the above $Conf settings, it
> fails with a BackupPC error log entry of:
>
> Backup failed on localhost (fileListReceive failed)

That sounds a bit as if sudo were adding some output, though in that case I'd
expect a 'Fatal error (bad version)'. Maybe you could give some more details
from your error log such as the exact command being run? Actually, it's
almost always a good idea to quote not only error messages but also some
context, i.e. what happens immediately preceeding the error.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger