Dan writes:

> I recently had a problem with backuppc's EMailNotifyMinDays
> parameter.
>
> running 2.1.2p1 (will upgrade to 2.1.3, but from skimming changelogs
> this has not been addressed).

Right - no changes in this area.

> Every 3 days or so, I woudl receive an email from backuppc
> complaining that backups had failed for the first alphabetically-sorted
> host name in my hosts file (ie, in the example above, "arf").
>
> As it turns out this is an oddball host, so i figured something weird
> was broken, and one that wasn't a high priority, so i didn't get around
> to fixing it.
>
> Unfortunately, the emailnotifymindays paramter prevented backuppc from
> telling me anything else (such as that all of my other hosts were failing
> backups, or that the disk was full, etc).
>
> Luckily I figured this out during routine testing and didn't miss too
> many days' worth of backups (about 2 weeks as it turned out).
>
> Setting emailnotifymindays to 0 causes all the emails to come through.
>
> At the very least 0 should be the default and a comment should fully
> explain the ramifications.
>
> Better would be to have this never apply to system-wide administrative
> e-mails, and to have it apply to each host individually rather than
> to all hosts that a given user is reponsible for.

This is strange.  The code should send admin messages without
caring about the value of $Conf{EMailNotifyMinDays}.  You should
get one every night if something needs attention.  The cache of
email sending times to users is only for per-host messages, not
admin messages.

So there must be some other reason the admin emails were not
sent or delivered.  Your address setting looks correct and you
know that per-host user messages work to that same address.

To debug, copy and edit the script to exit after it sends the
admin email, and change the logic so it always sends it.

I agree $Conf{EMailNotifyMinDays} could/should apply per host, rather
than per user.  I'll add that to the feature request list.

Craig