Travis Fraser wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 13:09 -0700, Brien Dieterle wrote:
>
>> Most NFS servers are pitifully slow compared to a local filesystem,
>> particularly when dealing with many small files.  It pains me to think
>> about how slow that might get-- is anyone else using a non-local
>> filesystem?
>>
> I use a Linux-based NAS device that is mounted via NFS. The backups are
> not huge (~25GB), but the performance seems fine. The BackupPC server
> does have a dedicated connection with a crossover cable to the NAS.

The thing most likely to cause speed issues with NFS is the 'sync'
option.  NFS was
designed to survive a server reboot with every operation being
completely atomic.
This requires every write() to be completely written to disk before
being acknowledged
as completed, where on your local filesystem it would be permitted to
remain in
a memory cache for some amount of time before being  flushed  out to
disk.  In
many cases people prefer to have speed and the same risk of losing data that
you would have with local disks if you have a power failure or other machine
crash, so they use the async mount option and allow the writes to be
buffered.

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]