Ted To wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading the documenation on host discovery, it's not clear to me how to set
> up my network so that backuppc knows what dhcp assigned IP address to
> associate with a linux box.  Can someone offer some help or point me in the
> right direction?

The way I do this is via dynamic dns.  I run cron jobs on the unix
clients (in my case mac) that update an ldap directory with the mac
address, computer name, and current IP.  Then I run a job once an hour
that creates the dhcpd.conf files and restarts the dhcp server.  Now
BackupPC can just query dns to get the ip address for the computer.
Works very well for desktops and ok for most laptops.  I have a few that
move between 4 - 5 subnets a day and are always on wireless that are
problematic, but other than that the system works ok.

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 206-501-9803