James Ward wrote:
> it looks like they're going to all get started at the same time again
> due to waiting on the nightly process to complete after the longest
> of these backups.
>
> Does version 3 get me away from this scenario?
Yes.  Version 3 doesn't need nightly processing to be mutually exclusive
to backups.  They should fire off whenever they're due to start.
However, if you having trouble with one taking more than 24 hours, and
the period between backups is less than this, it will pretty much always
be backing up those machines and falling further behind.  Since you
mention having multiple backup servers, perhaps putting the largest file
server hosts onto different backuppc servers would help?
> And on my other
> server that's backing up 200 machines (some remote), will it be able
> to just backup 24x7 with version 3?  Right now it spends most of
> every day from the wee hours until the afternoon doing the nightly
> cleanup.

Again, this should be alleviated in version 3.  Even if the processing
is still lengthy, it should not bunch up your backups anymore, so
theoretically, the same server has greater capacity in version 3 than in
version 2.

JH