When I say 3 different locations, I don't mean 3 different floors of the same building. I mean three different client sites, miles apart, with completely different *everything*, including network hardware brand. Some of them are HP ProCurve switches (our preferred brand) but nowhere near all of them: everything from Netgear and Linksys to Cisco.

It is *NOT* the networking hardware! This is NOT an isolated situation. It's not just **ONE** serer that is having this problem. And despite the fact that others have made this configuration work, I am *very* confident that you can reproduce it too. Take 2 Pentium III computers, load RHEL4 (or CentOS 4.0 or 4.1) on one, boot Knoppix 4.0.2 on the other. rsync a couple of gig of data. It will fail.
Ok. I missed that detail in your previous messages. It is unlikely to be hardware then.

Maybe if you use a newer version of RHEL/CentOS it won't. That's what I'm testing next. Haven't gotten that far yet. I'm trying to systematically step from version to version: I'm at CentOS 4.1 right now. But I have tried nearly a dozen different kernels and distributions on the host end, on 3 different models of hardware, and 6 different physical devices. All of them fail in exactly the same way. I have intentionally changed out *every* hardware component (server computer, host computer and network) and *every* software component on the server. The only thing that has remained constant through this entire process is RHEL4 on the host. And, of course, the failures are pretty constant, too...
Why use an old kernel for the backup server, if you can control what server OS to choose? I have Centos 4.4 Server and it works like a dream. I have run it on a PPro 200mhz, and it worked fine. I literally swapped the hard drive into a P2-450mhz and it works fine there (and automatically picked up all the drivers necessary w/o futzing with it--very nice!) as well.

I actually wish someone would take Centos 4.4 and wrap it up onto a bootable ISO, so I could completely protect my server machine 1) from intrusion, 2) from hardware failure. My PPro one day just decided not to boot, so I had to risk swapping the whole thing to another box. I'd really love it if that were as simple as unplugging the archive drive from USB or Firewire and plugging it into another machine. Unfortunately, setting up a working distro on a CD is beyond my talents...

JH