Dave Fancella wrote:
> I went ahead and did this for now, but it's still not quite the right
> solution.  The laptop is dhcp because it periodically goes wardriving, so a
> solution where I can have it dhcp is best.  :)  Still, it'll be some months
> again before I might need it to leave the house, in the meantime it's staying
> put, so this will work for awhile.  Thanks.

You can set most recent consumer router/gateway boxes to assign a static
IP through DHCP when it recognizes a MAC address.  This way, you can
still have your laptop set up for automatic IP discovery through DHCP,
but at home, you always get the same IP address, and the laptop is
none-the-wiser.

With regards to setting up an DNS server, it's trivial to set up simple
DNS, but it can be somewhat challenging to set up reverse DNS for a
first-timer.  Not all router/gateway boxes support overriding just the
DNS server address when handing out IP addresses via DHCP, though.  My
Zyxel P-330W allows this, and it works really well.  Windows and Linux
boxes can be set up easily to register their IP addresses with their DNS
server when they receive a DHCP ack, so it can reverse the mapping as
needed.  IP-to-hostname resolution is called reverse DNS, which is what
you need for dynamic IP clients to resolve correctly with traceroute and
nslookup, among other things.

So, the typical alternative is to run DNS and DHCP from a single Linux
box instead of your router, which gives you the safest mechanism for
updating the reverse DNS.  There's a security hole there if someone else
logs into your network and pretends their IP maps to one of your other
machine names and is trusted to update that by the DNS server...  If you
run DHCP and DNS on the same machine, the clients don't need to register
themselves because DHCP can tell DNS directly using only the loopback
port.  There are plenty of HowTo's out there for DNS, in case you want a
weekend project, though.  :-)))

But, by far, the simplest solution is to use a static assignment from DHCP.

JH