Hi,

I've fixed it.

I found that I had "mesg y" on /etc/bashrc
As soon as I comented it the backups start working.

After that I've placed this on the .bashrc file:

[[ -t 0 ]] && mesg y

Now everything is working fine.
Thanks to all for your help.

Paulo

On 2/12/07, Bill Hudacek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Paulo Cardoso wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks but this didn't fixed it.
> I still get the same error.
> As I said, it only happends sametimes.
>
> Regarding the backup, if I select a small folder, nothing happends.
> If I select a folder with many many files and sub-folders, I can see
> rsync
> starts listing it...
> I'd like to test the backup on a small folder with about 200 files but
it
> doesn't work.
> I'm getting crazy with it as I can't find the problem..

I think Craig's on to something, Paulo.  I'm not a Csh guy, but to
generalize his Csh example to other shells (bash/korn/etc)  this is what
I do (in .profile, .shrc, whatever files your login uses):

#
# if stdin (channel 0) is a ttty, then do things to tty...
#
if [[ -t 0 ]]
then
    stty-stuff
    tput-stuff
    resize (X11 if you have it)
    any-job-control stuff
fi

In this way, shell scripts don't try to resize the window to a new
dimension when there's no (X11/*term) window,  stty doesn't try to set
line disciplines, etc.

It makes sense that you're having problems with rsync & not tar, as
rsync is run over ssh in your case.  I don't use 'tar' mode, only rsync,
so if you can run ssh over tar that might be an interesting test to see
if you observe the same ill effects.

/Bill