Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
> Any ideas on how we can reduce the load? More/less nightly jobs? Less
> concurrent backups? Other tips? We used to backup 15 servers onto one
> BackupPC server, but now almost all of our backups are failing and the
> load is through the roof. Can we just go and install BackupPC 2.1.3
> again?

Are you sure the only change in your environment was BackupPC?  I mean,
did the file usage on any of the servers shift in some way so that more
files are being backed up?  Did you change transport mechanisms on any
servers?  File systems?

I noticed my SMB backups began a lot faster when I upgraded from a
10/100 network port to a gigabit port on my backup machine, though rsync
wasn't affected too much.  Adding memory to it also helped I think (from
128mb up to 256mb, to reduce the amount of paging by measuring the
high-water mark and surpassing it).  I recently reduced it to take 2
backups at a time maximum, to help spread them out a little, since I
have a blackout period during the work day, they tended to bunch up in
the off-period.  I also checked out hdparm to tune my disk a little...
didn't help me, but that might help you.

Depending on how loaded your server is, you may notice some backups that
normally take a short while suddenly take longer, because it's paired
with a backup that is hogging the system bus, disk i/o or cpu time.  It
would be nice to have more direct control over pairing, rather than
having to set per-backup-set blackout times.

JH