OverlordQ wrote:
> The Unicode versions of several functions permit a maximum path length
> of approximately 32,000 characters composed of components up to 255
> characters in length. To specify that kind of path, use the "\\?\" prefix.

Thanks for looking that up.  The relevant bits were actually on that
page.  The question was whether a file length limit was interceding to
prevent backups from occurring correctly.  I suggested perhaps UTF-16 or
Unicode might be causing trouble, if set as the codepage on some
system.  From MSDN:

"Windows stores the long file names on disk in Unicode, which means that
the original long file name is always preserved, even if it contains
extended characters, and regardless of the code page that is active
during a disk read or write operation. The case of the file name is
preserved, but the file system is not case-sensitive."

So, it's highly unlikely this is the case, as the long filenames are
already stored as Unicode on disk.

JH