Les Mikesell wrote:
> Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>> John Pettitt wrote:
>>>>

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> The basic problem is backuppc is using the file system as a database
>>> - specifically using the hard link capability to store multiple
>>> references to an object and the link count to manage garbage
>>> collection.   Many (all?) filesystems seem to get slow when you get
>>> into the millios of files with thousands of links range.   Changing
>>> the way is works (say to use a real database) looks like a very non
>>> trivial task.   Adding disk spindles will help (particularly if you
>>> have multiple backups going at once) but in the end it's still not
>>> going to be blazingly fast.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> Well, so there are no plans to fix this problem? I found forum threads
>> that in certain cases backups take over 24hours! Goodbye to daily
>> incremental backups :)
>
> If your filesystem isn't a good place to store files, there is not much
> an application can do about it.  Perhaps it would help if you mentioned
> what kind of scale you are attempting with what server hardware.  I know
> there are some people on the list handling what I would consider large
> backups with backuppc.  If yours is substantially smaller perhaps they
> can help diagnose the problem.  Maybe you are short on RAM and swapping
> memory to disk with large rsync targets.

I know that the bottleneck is the disk. I am using a single ide disk to
take the backups, only 4 machines and 2 backups running at a time(if I
am not remembering wrong).

I see that it is possible to use raid to solve this problem to some
extent but the real solution is to change backuppc in such way that it
wont use so much disk operations.

>> I wonder what is the mechanical stress this poses on the hard drive
>> when it has to work 24/7 moving it's head like crazy.
>
> They'll die at some random time averaging around 4-5 years - just like
> any other hard drive.  Disk heads are made to move...

Perhaps, but there is a difference if they are moving 10 times or 100000
times. Where the difference is that the possibility of failure due to
mechanical problems increases 10000 times.

Thanks,
Evren