Thanks Holger, Craig,

I checked, and  I was running the old version of File::RsyncP  so I
removed the debian
version (0.52) and installed from CPAN version 0.68.  Also my versions
of rsync on both
machines is the same 2.6.9.

I think it must be a something to do with the SSH link I am using though.
The rsync is done over SSH to non-root user rbackup, which then runs
 "sudo /usr/bin/rsync" to get root permissions  on the client. However
if I change
it to run as root on the client, with no SSH command restriction, then
the restore
works just fine. So it's an SSH sudo command restriction problem. I think I
will try out using rsyncd on the client instead.

Thanks
--

John