Hi,

I want to upgrade the backuppc data space of one of my backuppc
server. /var/lib/backuppc (reiserfs) is at the moment a plain lvm
(1TB, 4x250GB, 740GB used) and I want to update to raid5/lvm (1,5TB,
4x500GB).

I did upgrade an other server which had no lvm volume a feew weeks
ago. This was easy, I just copied the reiserfs partition to the new
system with dd an netcat and resized/grow the partition afterwards.

What is the best way to do this with lvm? I have attached 2 external
USB disks (500GB+ 300GB = 800GB with lvm) as a temp. storage for the
old data, because the 4 on-board SATA ports are all used by the old
backuppc data.

I'm not sure if I can just dd the old lvm volume to one big file on the
USB disk, replace the disks, dd the file back to the lvm volume and
resize the reiserfs fs?

dd if=/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 bs=8192 of=backuppc.dump

..replace disks, create new lvm volume...

dd if=backuppc.dump of=/dev/mapper/bigger-lvm-volume bs=8192

I think the dd data includes information about the lvm volume/logical
groups. I guess A lvm snapshot will not help much.

Any ideas?

Ralf