Rob,

I need to make a slight correction to my previous e-mail (please read that one
as well, though :) )

rsync router:: returns
rsync: failed to connect to router: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(104)
[receiver=2.6.9]

Thanks,
Cory

Cory Rivera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Rob,

Thanks for clarifying - I figured that laptop and laptop.university.edu would
not be discoverable but at this point I'm ready to try anything.

Now, in response to your question / suggestions:

The router is a D-Link DI-604, and I followed the instructions on
www.portforward.com to forward port 873 to the static IP address that I
assigned my laptop.  The enabled check box is checked so I can only assume that
the port forward is enabled.  The laptop is running Windows Firewall and I
followed the directions here:

http://www.sonoracomm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=32

to set up BackupPC on a Windows host, configuring the firewall through DOS
Commands as suggested at that site.  I've also tried not running Windows
Firewall and got the same results.

"ping router" and "ping router.university.edu" are both  successful, 0% packet
loss.

However,
"nmap -p 873 router" (or router.university.edu) returns
Note: Host seems down.  If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try
-P0.  Nmap finished: 1 IP Address (0 hosts up) scanned in 4.007 seconds)

Trying the -P0 option gives:
Interesting ports on router.university.edu (AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD):
Not shown: 1695 filtered ports
PORT    STATE    SERVICE
113/tcp    closed    auth
873/tcp    closed    rsync  (This does not show if I enable Port Triggering on
Trigger Port 873 and Public Port 873 both set to TCP/UDP but it doesn't seem to
help)

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 34.223 seconds

Finally,
rsync  router:: returns
rsync: getaddrinfo:  router 873: Name or service not known
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(104)
[receiver=2.6.9]

Thanks,
Cory

Rob Owens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Cory,

You're going to want your host to be called either "router" or
"router.university.edu".  If you're on the local network, probably
either will work.  "laptop" and "laptop.university.edu" will not work,
because they're not known on the public side of the router.

The error messages you're getting sound  like either your router is not
configured properly, or there's a firewall blocking your attempts.  I've
seen router configs where you not only had to specify the port and the
host, but you also then need to check the box next to "enable" or
something similar.  Is there a firewall enabled on the laptop?

Try these commands from the BackupPC server:

1)  ping router
A successful ping tells you that the network knows where "router" is.

2)  ping router.university.edu
A successful ping tells you that the network knows where
"router.university.edu" is.

3)  nmap -p 873 router (or router.university.edu)
This is a port mapper and will tell you if the router is really
listening on port 873.  I'm not sure what happens, though, if the router
is listening but the host behind the router is not.  Anybody else know?

4)  rsync router::  (or router.university.edu)
That's a double colon after "router".  This won't transfer  anything--it
just asks for a list of available modules.  If the rsync server is
working and receiving your requests, you should get a listing showing
something like:
backup      Backup Folder

-Rob