Hi,

Craig Barratt wrote on 12.09.2007 um 06:32:29 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Got fatal
error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)]:
> Robert writes:

[re-inserted quote from Robert from a previous e-mail]:
> > I removed the -v option from config.pl, restarted backuppc, this is the
> > log:
> >
> > Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -l root robert-laptop /usr/bin/rsync --server
> > --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --times
> > --block-size=2048 --recursive -D --ignore-times . /home/
> > Xfer PIDs are now 5985
> > Got remote protocol 1651076184
> > Fatal error (bad version): Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
[/re-inserted quote]

> > I have added -x but this makes no difference.  I have (I think) disabled
> > X11 port forwarding in /etc/ssh/ssh_config (on the laptop).  Again no
> > difference.  Error is currently:
>
> It's still enabled.  There might be two ssh_config files - the
> global one and the per-user one.  You should check both.

are you sure about that? I'd be looking for things in the shell startup
sequence on the client that try to connect to the X-server. True, they'd
have to set $DISPLAY to :0.0 or default it, but the same is true for ssh -
in fact, a quick test suggests that ssh does *not* propagate DISPLAY or try
to connect to a local X-server if DISPLAY is not set in its environment. For
the BackupPC daemon running the ssh command, DISPLAY should *not* normally
be set.

So: I think your problem is on 'robert-laptop' somewhere in ~root/.profile or
~root/.bashrc (or possibly the equivalents under /etc) - adjust to match root's
shell.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger