Well, you can't back up the exchange content databases with the
databases online (i.e. with the Information Store service running)
You can do it 3 (and probably more) ways with BackupPC:

1. Stop the Information Store service, then have BackupPC backup the
databases, which is basically all the files in the C:\Program
Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA directory. Note, this is the default
directory..but most people put it on a different drive. Then restart the
Information Store service. This method is not recommended.

2. Use ntbackup on your Exchange server to do a backup of the Exchange
storage groups. Ntbackup will use VSS to backup the databases to a .bak
file you specify with the information store able to remain online. Use
BackupPC to backup the .bak file

3. Use Exmerge to export all your mailboxes to PST files. Have BackupPC
backup the .pst files.

Personally, I do a combination of #2 and #3. I use ntbackup to do a full
database backup every Saturday. I use Exmerge to do incremental backups
of all mailboxes every night (except Saturday). With Exmerge you can
even just take changed data from the mailboxes, so you're not backing up
every single byte of every single mailbox, but you are keeping a running
up-to-date mailbox with the PST file (unless you delete the PST files
every night). And then if someone needs something recovered from the
week, you can just open their exmerge-backed up PST file in Outlook and
pull it out rather than go through restoring the database files,
creating a storage recovery group, copying the data over, blah blah.

-Tony
--
Anthony J. Biacco
Senior Systems/Network Administrator