Saw a posing from a while back discussing the concept of letting users
touch files to designate items to exclude from the backup.  The
discussion doesn't seem to have gotten far as the focus seemed to be on
modifying BackupPC to support it.  I've got another approach and wanted
to get some feedback before I spent too much time on it.

My thought is that I should be able to run a script via
$Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} to create a list of files/dirs to exclude.  The
script would run 'find --type f -name .nobackup' for each entry in
$shares.  If the file were empty, the directory would be excluded.
Non-empty .nobackup files would be expected to contain a list of entries
in/under the current directory that should be excluded.  Once the
exclusion file exists, $TarClientCmd could be tweaked to add the
"--exclude-from FILE" argument.

Make sense?  In my case, the time required to generate that exclusion
file should be short so that's not an issue here.  What am I missing?

pd
--
Paul Dugas, Computer Engineer                Dugas Enterprises, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        phone: 404-932-1355     522 Black Canyon Park