Nils,

When i built my first backuppc box, i only had 256 MB of ram on hand. I wanted 512+ but sometimes you have to do with what you got. It was always my intention to buy more memory, but as time passed I was quite impressed with the performance on such a low power box. All my backups ran fine and always completed between the hours of 6pm and 6am. Even as the number of clients grew, and the size of the backups grew, this machine was keeping up and doing well. Finally i came to the realization that i really did not need to buy the extra memory.

Dont get me wrong, i did see a some amount of swap activity on the older box with 256MB, but it is NOTHING compared to what i am seeing now.

Both boxes are custom configured to run a stripped down version of debian. Trimming out all the fat possible. Only services i run on the box are SSH, Munin, and Backupc.

Another thing to note, on the 2.x config i was able to run 2+ simultaneous backup commands. On the new box i can only run a single backuppc job, otherwise it crashes backuppc w/ an out of memory kernel panic.

What i would really like to know from people running 3.x, what is your base ram, and what is your swap configured at. ? Are there any users running 3.x on a machine w/ less than 512?

-N

Nicholas Mistry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]