I've always thought that there might be a way to do this using nmap.
nmap is a port scanner that can check hosts w/o using a ping, if you use
the -P0 option.  I haven't tried it enough to get it to output what
BackupPC expects to see, but I imagine that it could be done with the
right combination of commands, or with a script.

nmap -P0 -p 22 hostname

That command would tell you if port 22 is open on machine "hostname".
If port 22 is open, then the machine is obviously up, regardless of
whether it responded to a ping.  I think the trick will be getting the
nmap command to produce output that BackupPC will accept as a positive
indication of the host being up.  Let me know if you figure it out.

-Rob