most all modern versions of gzip should work fine.  you shouldnt have any
problem with gzip v1+.

i just wanted to know if you were running backuppc on an old OS where your
utilities may not have the same syntax as the modern versions.

that does not look like the case.

i think you either have a config.pl issue or your files are not so
compressable.  are you backing up 1 really really big file? like a movie or
something?  that could skew the compression level numbers.

try this is you would.  setup a new share to backup and create a new host in
backuppc and put the old hostname or ip address in the client alias
section.  then set it up to just backup that folder.  now put just excel and
word docs in there and maybe copy them a few times so you have a bunch of
compressable files to backup.  now re-run your test and see who the
compression level looks.