Matthew Metzger wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> thanks for the response. I did exactly what you suggested with RAID 1
> and LVM them together to create a large drive. It was fairly easy to
> accomplish with Ubuntu's installer.
>
> However, Les Stott brings up a great point about RAID 5. I would like
> recovering from a failure to be possible. How I have it now makes it
> possible, but perhaps it isn't as easy as the RAID 5 option. I also like
> that RAID 5 gives me more space.
>
> I think that I'll have the time to experiment with setting both of them up.
>
> thanks for taking the time to respond!
>
> -Matthew

RAID5 will give you more space at the expense of performance and at a
slightly increased risk of failure (google "raid 5 write hole") - I have
a similar system to you - except I have 6 500GB drives in three raid 1
pairs which are then striped to make a 1.5TB volume.

RAID5 rebuild takes a *long* time on most systems and will significantly
impact system performance if you do it on a live box.    RAID 1 rebuild
should be a bit faster as all that has to happen is a disk copy.

If you really have the time try both and "fail" a drive in both configs
(pull the power works well :-) and see what you have to do to bring it
back on line - go with the one you are most comfortable with.

In the end it's probably a religious decision (strongly held views not
always supported by facts).

John