Hello,

I'm sorry, I forgot to explain that I delete all files in the pool between
two tests with different compression level.
And all links are cleaned because of BackupPC_nightly, etc...

It's on a test setup, of course.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Regards,

Romain

Craig Barratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
05/12/2007 08:00

Rich Rauenzahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc
Romain PICHARD/Mondeville/VIC/[EMAIL PROTECTED],
"backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net"
<backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Objet
Re: [BackupPC-users] Compression level

Rich writes:

> I don't think BackupPC will update the pool with the smaller file even
> though it knows the source was identical, and some tests I just did
> backing up /tmp seem to agree.  Once compressed and copied into the
> pool, the file is not updated with future higher compressed copies.
> Does anyone know something otherwise?

You're right.

Each file in the pool is only compressed once, at the current
compression level.  Matching pool files is done by comparing
uncompressed file contents, not compressed files.

It's done this way because compression is typically a lot more
expensive than uncompressing.  Changing the compression level
will only apply to new additions to the pool.

To benchmark compression ratios you could remove all the files
in the pool between runs, but of course you should only do that
on a test setup, not a production installation.

Craig

SC2N -S.A  Siège Social : 2, Rue Andre Boulle - 94000 Créteil  - 327 153
722 RCS Créteil

"This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its
sender at the above address and destroy it."