On 01/04 09:51 , Paul Archer wrote:
> If you are using lvm2 (which is pretty common, given the necessary
> single-filesystem size for backuppc), then you should be able to take a
> snapshot of the logical volume, and backup from that.

I've tried that with backing up to tape. Unfortunately, any disk activity
which goes on at the time you're trying to copy that data, will kill the
disk performance. I found that it was 4x faster (12 hours instead of 48
hours) to just quiesce the machine (i.e. stop backuppc) and make the backup,
than to try to make the backup of a snapshot on a live machine. It may not
be as bad with disk backup; the problem with tape is that it has to stop,
rewind, and restart every time it doesn't get data fast enough. The general
point I'm making tho, is that snapshots of a live, active system *do* slow
things down substantially.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator