On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Tomasz Chmielewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Stripe size is 64k.
>  Also, the system was made with just "mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/sdX", so without
>  the stride option (or other useful options, like online resizing, which
>  is enabled by default only in the recent releases of e2fsprogs).
>
>  On the other hand, using "stride" is a bit unclear for me.
>
>  Although you can somehow calculate it if you place your fs directly on a
>  RAID array:
>
>    stride=stripe-size
>        Configure the filesystem for a RAID array with stripe-size
>        filesystem blocks per stripe.
>
>  It is a bit harder if you have LVM on your RAID, I guess.

Right - I don't know if LVM "offsets" the filesystem layout any. If
you ever moved the array or reshaped the array using LVM, then you'd
lose the performance benefits of having an optimal stride setting.

IIRC, xfs automagically uses the correct stride if the RAID is a local array.

>  But as I looked at dumpe2fs output (and HDD LEDs blinking), everything
>  is scattered rather among all disks.

Which doesn't tell us much. The point of the stride setting is to
avoid writing specific bits of data across multiple stripes.

For example, if you perform a small write across two stripes, that
means you have to read/write two 64kB stripes in your case. By
aligning writes, you could have avoided this and only read/write a
single 64kB stripe. It's pretty easy to see how this might affect
performance.

>  Hey, I just disabled internal bitmap in RAID-5 and it seems the things
>  are much faster now - this is "iostat sda -d 10" output without the
>  internal bitmap.

Doh, I forgot about RAID-5 bitmaps. I did a quick search and it
appears that bitmaps can really kill performance. But it does prevent
a full-resync after a crash. I don't think it's worth it in your case.

It might be worth posting back to the thread on LKML (and cc
linux-raid) to see if there are any known workarounds if you want to
try to keep bitmaps enabled.

-Dave