-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carl
Wilhelm Soderstrom
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:30 AM
To: backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] compiling from source vs. installing from
apackage

I put forth my listed points (and a few more) at this page:

http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/install_from_package

I put it under the off-topic section since it really is off-topic for the
list. I invite others to contribute their views to it; perhaps in a section
underneath which offers counterpoints and the advantages of compiling
directly from source tarballs.

I *do* myself compile directly from source tarballs on occasion; but only on
test machines (like a vmware session), and for purposes of trying out the
software, and only when there isn't a similar package available.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator