Your best bet here is to use udev rule for the device

whenever the drive gets plugged in it should run the script

[SCRIPT1]
add the device to the array so it can sync.

launch a script in the background that watches the sync and when it is 100%
complete, remove the disk from the array. (use while and awk probably)
eject the disk
notify you via email.

make sure you are generous with `sleep` commands.  some things take a few
seconds to settle so a 30 second wait here or there is a good thing.

I will certainly give any help I can but I really suggest that you read this
on writing udev rules http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
also, a quick while loop using awk to pull out the specific field you need
for the while.  this shouldnt be terribly hard.
eject /dev/sdb is pretty straightforward

it will be very helpfull for you to learn to do this so i suggest you put as
much effort into this as you can before getting any help.

good luck.