I have been testing backuppc for a few weeks with a dozen Windows
laptops.  I have chosen smb over rsync protocol for it's setup
simplicity and it's working well for what I need.  The slower speed of
smb backup is actually better since the users are not impacted by
network performance issues with a faster backup protocol like rsync.
I'm running the 3.1 release from the Ubuntu 9.0.4 repo.

One outstanding problem is that when a Laptop user disconnects from the
network, backuppc never terminates the backup job.  It happily continues
on with "backup in progress" until I manually kill the job from the CGI
interface.  I just found this posting and I noticed the default time out
is 20 hours.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=443678E1.8070706%4
0wpkg.org

Is the preferred solution to change the ClientTimeout value or is there
another solution to address this?  Other than monitoring it with a
background process and sending it a kill command.

If this is the preferred solution, it seems to me that 20 hour timeout
is very long time.  I would like to change it to 4-6 hours hours but I
would think the 20 hour value was chosen for good technical reason?  The
documentation says increasing it might be required in rare situation but
does not mention decreasing it.  As the smbclient process jumps to 100%
when this condition occurs, it seems a lower time would be better for
overall system performance when the backup computer is single CPU
system.

Thanks,

Marcelino