An unexpected turn of events! I googled for a different ssh-server for Windows
that does not rely on Cygwin, and came up with something called MobaSSH.
MobaSSH does however rely on Cygwin anyway, but seems to be working properly
in my environment. In any case, I installed the Professional-demo, able to
install and run on a Win2k3 Server-machine (the free Home version only works
on non-Windows Server-machines). The service seems to be running properly so
far.

* The rsync test works, I get a file list. See attached txt-file for output.

* The passwordless login from my BPC-server also works. See attached txt-file
for output.

* Added the Win-server to BPC as a host using rsync, but I get the dreaded
"Unable to read 4 bytes" error message. See attached txt-file for output.

I thought the "Unable to read 4 bytes"-message was because the the
passwordless login wasn't setup properly, or not set up at all. What else
could it choke on and give this message?

Any answers are appreciated!
--
/Sorin
r...@mach012 /bak/ [0]# rsync -av r...@xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn:/cygdrive/e/users
receiving file list ... rsync:
[...]
file has vanished:
"/cygdrive/e/users/alesan/Avdelningsrelaterad/Presentationer/Avd
seminarier/20090211/Inl\#344sning/(1988 Andersson) Synthesis of \#337-arylvinyl
ethers by palladium-catalyzed reaction of aroyl chlorides with vinyl ethers.pdf"
rsync:
readlink_stat("/cygdrive/e/users/alesan/Avdelningsrelaterad/Presentationer/Avd
seminarier/Avd seminarie VT2010/10.1006_jcht.2001.0837 2001 WILKEN Experimental
determination of oxygen and nitrogen solubility in organic solvents up to 10
MPa at temperatures between 298 K and 398 K.pdf") failed: File name too long
(91)
[...]

=================================

r...@mach012 /bak/ [0]# ssh r...@xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn

  |                         MobaSSH Professional v1.12                       |
  |              (SSH server for Win32 based on Cygwin/OpenSSH)              |
  |                                                                          |
  |   Important                                                              |
  |   - Your computer drives are accessible through the /cygdrive directory  |
  |   - Network shares are accessible by typing //<remote_computer>          |
  |   - The Windows registry is browsable through the /registry path         |
  |                                                                          |
  |   Useful commands                                                        |
  |   - MobaHwInfo: detailed information about OS and hardware               |
  |   - MobaSwInfo: installed programs list                                  |
  |   - MobaTaskList, MobaKillTask: list/kill Windows tasks                  |
  |   - TCPCapture: Network packets and ports monitoring tool                |
  |   - scp, sftp: transfer files through the crypted ssh connexion          |
  |   - nedit, vim: text editors with syntax highlighting                    |
  |   - rsync, wget: sync local directories with network computers           |
  |                                                                          |
  |  This version is a 30-day demo for evaluation purposes                   |
  |  For more information, visit: http://mobassh.mobatek.net/versions.php    |

[Fri Mar 26 - 11:55:35] ~
[root.starforge2] $ ll
drwx------    5 ???????? None            0 Mar 16 14:32 Application Data
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Mar 24 14:09 Cookies
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Mar 25 13:47 Desktop
drwx------    4 ???????? None            0 Mar 16 14:32 Favorites
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Nov 26 09:38 IETldCache
drwx------    6 ???????? None            0 Nov 25 15:30 Local Settings
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Mar 16 14:32 My Documents
-rwx------    1 ???????? None       786432 Mar 26 08:31 NTUSER.DAT
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Nov 25 15:30 NetHood
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Nov 25 15:30 PrintHood
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Mar 24 14:09 PrivacIE
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Mar 16 14:32 Recent
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Mar 16 14:32 SendTo
drwx------    3 ???????? None            0 Nov 28 08:01 Start Menu
-rwx------    1 ???????? None            0 Nov 25 15:33 Sti_Trace.log
drwx------    2 ???????? None            0 Nov 25 15:30 Templates
-rwxrwx---    1 ???????? SYSTEM       1024 Mar 26 11:25 ntuser.dat.LOG
-rwxrwx---    1 ???????? SYSTEM        178 Mar 26 08:31 ntuser.ini

[Fri Mar 26 - 12:03:20] ~
[root.starforge2] $

=================================

full backup started for directory /cygdrive/e/users/
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn /usr/bin/rsync --server
--sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /cygdrive/e/users/
Xfer PIDs are now 11480
Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one
(got 0 and 0 files versus 0)