Hi
I'm really off my league, here

I did a strace on my backuppc 3.0.0 on ubuntu 8.04 (and got "Got reply: ok")
$ strace ./BackupPC_serverMesg status 2> temp.txt
But I get nothing like your trace
$ cat temp.txt |grep connect
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/lib/backuppc/BackupPC.sock"}, 110)
= 0

I have all this perl stuff :)
dpkg -l | grep -i perl
ii  libarchive-zip-perl
1.18-1                                Module for manipulation of ZIP
archives
ii  libcompress-raw-zlib-perl
2.008-1ubuntu0.1                      low-level interface to zlib
compression libr
ii  libcompress-zlib-perl
2.008-1                               Perl module for creation and
manipulation of
ii  libdbd-mysql-perl
4.005-1                               A Perl5 database interface to the
MySQL data
ii  libdbi-perl
1.601-1                               Perl5 database interface by Tim Bunce
ii  libfile-rsyncp-perl
0.68-1                                A perl based implementation of an
Rsync clie
ii  libfuse-perl
0.09-2                                Write filesystems in Perl using FUSE
ii  libhtml-parser-perl
3.56-1ubuntu0.1                       A collection of modules that parse
HTML text
ii  libhtml-tagset-perl
3.10-2                                Data tables pertaining to HTML
ii  libhtml-template-perl
2.9-1                                 HTML::Template : A module for using
HTML Tem
ii  libhtml-tree-perl
3.23-1                                represent and create HTML syntax trees
ii  libio-compress-base-perl
2.008-1                               Base Class for IO::Compress modules
ii  libio-compress-zlib-perl
2.008-1                               Perl interface to zlib
ii  liblocale-gettext-perl
1.05-2ubuntu1                         Using libc functions for
internationalizatio
ii  libnet-daemon-perl
0.38-1.1                              Perl module for building portable Perl
daemo
ii  libpcre3
7.4-1ubuntu2.1                        Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expression
Library
ii  libperl5.8
5.8.8-12ubuntu0.4                     Shared Perl library
ii  libplrpc-perl
0.2017-1.1                            Perl extensions for writing PlRPC
servers an
ii  librpc-xml-perl
0.59-2                                Perl module implementation of XML-RPC
ii  libterm-readkey-perl
2.30-3ubuntu1                         A perl module for simple terminal
control
ii  libtext-charwidth-perl
0.04-4build1                          get display widths of characters on
the term
ii  libtext-iconv-perl
1.4-3                                 converts between character sets in
Perl
ii  libtext-wrapi18n-perl
0.06-5                                internationalized substitute of
Text::Wrap
ii  liburi-perl
1.35.dfsg.1-1                         Manipulates and accesses URI strings
ii  libwww-perl
5.808-1                               WWW client/server library for Perl
(aka LWP)
ii  libxml-parser-perl
2.34-4.3                              Perl module for parsing XML files
ii  perl
5.8.8-12ubuntu0.4                     Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and
Report
ii  perl-base
5.8.8-12ubuntu0.4                     The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish
Lister
ii  perl-modules
5.8.8-12ubuntu0.4                     Core Perl modules
ii  perl-suid
5.8.8-12ubuntu0.4                     Runs setuid Perl scripts

You may want to try, if you didn't yet, to install a stable version of
backuppc instead of BackupPC-3.2.0beta1.
Maybe it makes no difference, I guess

Good luck, hope someone who knows openwrt and perl can give you a hand.
Luis