I have been using backuppc for quite some time now. I use it at home in a
xen domu to back up all my servers/machines at home and here at work I use
it on a physical host to backup all of our servers. I use rsync method of
backing up where applicable and rsyncd on the windows machines.

One thing I have noticed lately here at work is the server being backed up
has its load go sky high when a backup is running. I have thought about ways
to avoid this if possible. I remember reading, somewhere I cannot find
again,  that someone did a similar method to what I am thinking may help.
Most of our servers will be Xen domu's running in logical volumes located on
the dom0 hypervisor. What I was thining may be possible is running an lvm
snapshot of the virtual machines lvm partition, mount the snapshot, and run
backuppc against that snapshot for that specific host.

It should be straight forward with the exception of a few of our VM's would
have "nested" lv's. For example, on a CentOS VM installed on the dom0 lv
named /dev/xenvg/domu1 it will then have a swap and a root lv that it sees
and runs from. I have used tools like kpartx before to split these nested
lv's into readable data so that may be a paart of the solution. Would anyone
have any experience with similar setups and can guide me in the right
direction?