Not an expert so I may get some of the finer details off.

> How and why did this happen?

The SMB incremental backup uses the file modification date-time as the key
to determine what should be backed up.  Taking the date-time of the previous
backup this incremental is to be based off of, minus a little slop, the
volume is walked looking for any file that has a modification after this.
 The problem files that were copied to this server would have their original
modification date-time and thus were not considered to need backup.

Mark Potter