hans...@gmail.com napsal(a):

> Back to serious - these are mission-critical data backups, so I'm
> defaulting to conservative - note this part of my goal:
>
>>> What I'm really looking for is to be able to just mount the resulting
>>> filesystem on any ol' livecd

Hi,

We do offline copies to external drives using a combination of SW
RAIDx's. Some of the raids have write-intent bitmaps activated to
speed-up the synchronization process.

The resultant drives can be converted to a fully-functioning copy of the
original backuppc machine using liveCD in a matter of minutes.

We currently use 2 sets of offline drives for weekly offline backup of
600GB backuppc data (tens of millions hardlinks) on a 1,4TB partition,
the synchronization of weekly changes takes a few hours.

The only backuppc downtime is after the synchronization is finished -
stopping backuppc, unmounting the data filesystem, removing the offline
drives from the array, re-mounting the data filesystem and starting
backuppc - a period of several seconds.

It is no rocket science :)

Pavel.