On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 07:34 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:

> To close this thread, I found the following:
>
> 1. CIFS does support hard links. I ran a test linking some files as
> well as googled cifs+hard links. The Buffalo NAS boxes don't support
> NFS out of the box. One has to load new firmware to replace the OS,
> but the do support CIFS.

What about the RRD side of things?

After a recent upgrade of the NAS firmware and the debian server, I
found problems with the nfs mounted filesystem, so I went to cifs, which
for the most part appeared to work fine, apart from RRD not being able
to get a lock:

2011-08-07 01:09:56 Cpool is 228.88GB, 203829 files (37 repeated, 4 max
chain, 4679 max links), 4369 directories

ERROR: could not lock RRD

I'm back to trying out nfs again.

Peter.