On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see any other message yet, but the way to get it right is to
> just mount the partition you want to use for storage in the place
> where backuppc wants it (should be /var/lib/backuppc with the deb
> package).  Or put a symlink there pointing to the location you want.
> If you do this before the install, everything should land in the right
> place and get the right permissions.   The critical things are that
> the pool/cpool/pc directories must all be in the same filesystem so
> hardlinks can work and with versions before 3.2 you can't change the
> TOPDIR location after the initial setup which is already done in the
> deb and rpm packaged versions.   Usually if you get these wrong, you
> get an error when starting the service about not being able to make a
> hard link so I'm not quite sure what is happening

I meant that I'd done exactly as you suggested above, but with bind mounts
rather than symlinks, with the specific locations and steps as outlined in
this post
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAOAgVpwU13YitOFF%2BNSXH3rYJVUNu%2B2KjpGqt2STL6sVgpdQ1g%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=backuppc-users
which you've also responded to. Sorry to have multiple threads going at the
same time, but obviously they may be more related than I thought.

I've just uninstalled the backuppc package, then either manually deleted or
verified these were removed:

/etc/backuppc
/usr/share/backuppc
/var/lib/backuppc

and rebooted.

Re-installed, this time without anything extra in the fstab, just letting
the package go where it wants, but in the end of the post-install script,
get a message that the hard-link test failed.

Did I miss something in uninstalling that may have interfered with the
re-install?

Could I please get a pointer to what the permissions should be on these
locations and their contents? That's actually what I was trying to get by
going through the installation again. . .

Thanks much for your help. . .